Media Why The Sun May Suddenly Destroy All of Our Electronics

Element115

I don't know if it'd occur during my lifetime and even if it did, what part of the Earth it would hit and affect as it wouldn't necessarily be all of it. If it indeed was 100% of the Earth, then what is the expected recovery then, or is recovery possible since most knowledge would be lost?

And do others agree that things just seem different, if not a bit 'off' since 2012... regardless of the Mayan prediction? Maybe it was the end of the world and we're just in a different worldline and things seem weird because IT IS WEIRD. Or we're just old.

TexDanm

This is one of those things that isn't IF it happens it is WHEN it happens. The Sun regularly throws off huge coronal mass ejections that would mess up our electrical systems. Depending on its level it could be a small piece of the planet like the one that hit Eastern Canada a few years ago. If it is big enough the Earth will turn in it like a pig on a rotisserie spit over a fire and it will be worldwide.

If all power were to be shut down in the US there would be an unimaginable death rate. The CIA has estimated that it could be in the area of 90% if it lasted for a year. there would be some places that survived and had power. Some of the government refuges and ships would probably survive. The thing is that there just isn't any way for a few to make any real difference when 350 million people are in the dark without food, water, sewage system, garbage pick up or a means to leave their areas. The big cities will ROT and if you look at what is happening on Long Island right now it will give you some idea of how bad it will be.

A major Astroid strike is another event that is an IS versus MAY happen thing. There are actually a lot of them Our Sweet Mother Earth is basically a cruel IQ test. A species is allowed just so long to evolve, get smart, and then get off this rock. When the time is up she will wipe the slate clean and start again. We are past due and the clock is ticking.

Element115

This is one of those things that isn't IF it happens it is WHEN it happens. The Sun regularly throws off huge coronal mass ejections that would mess up our electrical systems. Depending on its level it could be a small piece of the planet like the one that hit Eastern Canada a few years ago. If it is big enough the Earth will turn in it like a pig on a rotisserie spit over a fire and it will be worldwide.

If all power were to be shut down in the US there would be an unimaginable death rate. The CIA has estimated that it could be in the area of 90% if it lasted for a year. there would be some places that survived and had power. Some of the government refuges and ships would probably survive. The thing is that there just isn't any way for a few to make any real difference when 350 million people are in the dark without food, water, sewage system, garbage pick up or a means to leave their areas. The big cities will ROT and if you look at what is happening on Long Island right now it will give you some idea of how bad it will be.

A major Astroid strike is another event that is an IS versus MAY happen thing. There are actually a lot of them Our Sweet Mother Earth is basically a cruel IQ test. A species is allowed just so long to evolve, get smart, and then get off this rock. When the time is up she will wipe the slate clean and start again. We are past due and the clock is ticking.
I can't wait, that sounds like epic fun. Hopefully I adapt my car to run on human blood before this occurs though so I can obtain a steady supply of fuel.

TexDanm

Sometimes I think that a reboot may be the only thing that can save the human species. We seem to have become stagnant and are no longer moving forward. A reboot that doesn't wipe us out would offer us another chance.

Element115

Sometimes I think that a reboot may be the only thing that can save the human species. We seem to have become stagnant and are no longer moving forward. A reboot that doesn't wipe us out would offer us another chance.
We've rebooted a few times already. One more time can't hurt us. We're hurting us.

TexDanm

We as a species have conquered every beast and every continent and every environment on the Earth but one. That would be us. Until we learn to either conquer or make peace among ourselves we are at risk. At our current level of technology, we are a lot like a child with a gun. We are a huge threat with very little maturity or judgment. Maybe our time is not yet...

A restart may be our best chance to grow up a bit and become what we could be before we destroy who we are.

Element115

We as a species have conquered every beast and every continent and every environment on the Earth but one. That would be us. Until we learn to either conquer or make peace among ourselves we are at risk. At our current level of technology, we are a lot like a child with a gun. We are a huge threat with very little maturity or judgment. Maybe our time is not yet...

A restart may be our best chance to grow up a bit and become what we could be before we destroy who we are.
I take it you haven't heard of the Ocean, the one thing we know less than 10% about. MHM.

TexDanm

I take it that you either didn't read or failed to understand the post that you quoted. I don't have to know you to conquer you. All i have to do is force my will on you and mostly begin to control your ability to harm or resist me. We have all most wiped out the major preditors that in the past preyed on people. That doesn't mean that one doesn't occasionally kill a human.

No, we don't know about every square inch of the seas but we do know a lot more than the 10% you mentioned. I don't have to closely examine every pore and hair on your body to have a pretty good general understanding of what you look like. 90% of the ocean bottom is mud and not very interesting. The ocean like the lions occasionally gets some of us but like the lions that is not the norm. Our ships seldom sink, the dikes and dams lessen the danger from the rising waters.

we have beat out most of the killer diseases that used to make life so much more perilous than it is now. I remember polio, My Mom actually has smallpox, Everyone of my generation has a scar on their shoulder to remind them that we won over smallpox. Now we hide in our homes from COVID but it is just a matter of time before there will be a fix for that too.

We hide and live in fear of a tiny virus. If you want to fear something, look up and figure out how many people die each year from humans killing humans via murder, war, suicide, and gross uncaring negligence. Our civilization and technologies have allowed us to overcome most of the killers of the past while at the same time allowing us to ever-better kill each other. We have now reached the point where we can accomplish the ultimate murder and with the push of a few buttons kill nearly ALL humans. I'm not sure that we will survive to conquer ourselves.

All of that said we don't know as much about ourselves as in what and why we act the way we do as we will need to do if we ever hope to conquer and tame the human beast that so loves to kill.

scott93257

actually old diesel engines will continue to run as they do not require electronics to run. Just heat and compression. As long as you don't shut the thing off as they still do need a charging system to charge the batteries, and don't run out of fuel, you'll be fine.