Are you a Prepper?

Peregrini

That's a fine survival kit... If your staying put in a shelter. You could never travel with that much stuff without a small army to carry it all. Survival is not just about what you have but more about what you know. People talk about a "bug-out-bag" but I just call it my essentials. Tomorrow, if I have time, I will try to show what an "essentials kit" is.

Samstwitch

That's a fine survival kit... If your staying put in a shelter. You could never travel with that much stuff without a small army to carry it all. Survival is not just about what you have but more about what you know. People talk about a "bug-out-bag" but I just call it my essentials. Tomorrow, if I have time, I will try to show what an "essentials kit" is.

Yes, bug-out-bags are different from a survival list. Bug-out-bags are generally a backpack per person with a 3-day supply of essentials with the idea that you would have to travel to a safer place. I look forward to seeing your list. :)

Peregrini

The essentials;
First the common knowledge items
First Aid kit: you can build your own (more expensive but you get what you want and need and you can really build more than one this way cheaper than 1 kit) or buy a standard kit (sometimes cheaper but gives less choice). Either way be sure to have a clotting agent and supplies for larger wound management. ( Quick Clot sport available in 25 and 50 Gram and a disposable body stapler kit. All available at Cabelas)
To help you decide; Anatomy of a First Aid Kit (I would double this list myself) Add an AED defibrillator if you can afford it $1200 and up.
Deep Woods OFF or another brand you prefer as long as it has "DEET"
Sunscreen at a SPF above what you normally use.
A multi-tool (pliers, screw driver, knife, etc folding tool)
Antacid, Chapstick, Vaseline, isopropol alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and Betadine or povidone-iodine if its not already in your first aid kit.
A 30 day supply of your necessary medications ask your Dr. and be sure you keep it updated as meds often change. (aspirin and aspirin substitutes, anti-diarrhea meds, etc should be a part of your first aid kit)
All this should only take up about a 10X10X5 inch pack space.
This is your quick-out pack. If you have to leave for a very short duration 1 day or less.
Then:
A hand ax/hammer
A good multi-use knife
Scissors
A change of clothes and 4 pairs of socks, change and wash them after use, on a daily basis or more often if you get your feet wet. Remember your feet are your MOST important asset in the field. If you can't walk...you're dead.
Fire starting items... there are so many items out now from waterproof matches to a magnesium igniter. Chose your favorite. Ease of use, matches or storm lighter... reliability even wet, magnesium igniter. Include some type of wet tinder items.
2 to 4 emergency blankets. There are several kinds. I prefer the emergency space blanket 2 of the 2 oz Mylar blanket that folds up very small and 2 of the 12 oz sportsman's Space blanket used together. Wrap up in the first to retain body heat and cover with the other to keep off the ground and out of rain or snow. It can also be made into a lean-to or pup tent.
Water purification device. Again there are many available now so pick what you can afford. Katadyn has several good ones. Keep purification tablets on hand too.
Fishing hooks, line, sinkers, and lures, if you live in an area where you can fish for food. Be sure to have a good knife for cleaning them.
A good survival handbook. The Army Survival Manual is the best one and the Boy Scouts handbook is also good. There are of course others. Be sure to read them BEFORE you actually need to use the info.

The lesser known items
2 box(roll) ~ 50 + sq.ft. Aluminum foil... you can make a pot or pan for cooking or a drinking cup among other things. You'd be surprised how often you may turn to it when "ruffing it".
1 box(roll)~ 200 sq.ft. Clear plastic wrap (Saran wrap) Keeps your clothes away from morning dew, preserves left overs, protects bandaged wounds from contamination, and many other uses.
1 can WD 40 ... for more than squeaky doors and stuck windows. I won't list them but you can check here on your own. 2000+ WD-40 Uses | Remove Paint, Rubber Adhesive, Rust Stains, & More
Rope... nylon paracord rope 100 ft or more. Best is 100 ft continuous piece and 100 ft to cut up as needed.
A second self-defense knife
Not essential but certainly good to have
A weapon (pistol of your choice preferred) and 100+ ammo.
An emergency AM/FM radio with other power sources beside batteries (hand crank, solar) some even have a USB charging port for cell phones.
Survival Rations if you want. They occupy too much space and weight for me. I can hunt and live off the land better.
Learning that is your best defense.
This all fits in a standard size back pack or a 20X10X10 duffel bag. Weight about 30-40 lbs depending on what you have. Mine is about 35lbs with weapon, ammo, radio, sword, and 200 ft rope
A larger back pack or a second duffel can contain a sleeping bag and small tent if you wish. Maybe another 30+ lbs weight.
Those aren't essential. You can survive with the above items for quite some time if you know how to use them.
I hope you never have to use this stuff but having it is a good idea.

Samstwitch

Thanks Peregrini!

Here's how to put together a Bug-out-Bag from the Dollar Store or 99-cent Store.
That's what I'm talking about! Be prepared even if you're on a Budget!

Peregrini

Here's how to put together a Bug-out-Bag from the Dollar Store or 99-cent Store.
That's what I'm talking about! Be prepared even if you're on a Budget!
That's even more 'valuable' info. I didn't consider cost and that may be very important to many people. Not counting weapons mine is over $400.

Samstwitch

That's even more 'valuable' info. I didn't consider cost and that may be very important to many people. Not counting weapons mine is over $400.

The 99-cent Store has some great stuff! I buy many items from there. Some stores are better than others. The one near me has lots of good items. :)

Samstwitch

Last night I was watching the story of Noah's Ark in John Huston's The Bible: In the Beginning movie. Bible Prophecy says, "When the Son of Man [Jesus] returns, it will be like it was in Noah's day." Luke 17:26 (New Living Translation) Also, in Matthew...

Matthew 24:37-39
"But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." (King James Version)

Today we are living in the "Last Days" or "End Times" prophesied by Jesus and others in the Bible. Today it is just "like it was in Noah's day"...the world is full of evil and ungodliness!

What did Noah do? He built and Ark and stocked it full of supplies (and animals) so that he and his family could survive the Great Flood that God warned him was coming!

So we should prepare, just as Noah did!

I believe in the Rapture, and if I am taken up before the Great Tribulation, my supplies will be there for those left behind.

FINAL RESTING PLACE OF NOAH'S ARK

Genesis 8:4 And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

DISCOVERY OF NOAH'S ARK: For decades, explorers have claimed to have found Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey, but they were always prevented from proving its existence. Some died before they could prove its location. Another one took photos, but he fell to his death with the camera. However in April 2010, a group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers claimed to have discovered Noah's Ark found on Mt. Ararat in Turkey.

Matthew 10:26
"For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all."

HDRKID

Oh yes, I am a prepper. Actually, we should use as our symbol a red pepper. :)

For food my plan is to grow my own. Other supplies such as antibiotics will turn into gold after the catastrophe so stock up now.

What I see is at churches the line for free food is growing. Number of homeless is increasing. There are now a lot of empty houses with lawns that are tall and brown as well as pools that are green. Debunkers claim that everything is fine and I am crazy. Wonder when they will wake up.

Cayenne_Long_Red_Pepper.jpg

Octavusprime

Having a bug out bag and emergency rations are a good first step but don't forget to have a plan too. Under some circumstances sitting tight might be best. That's if you expect things to go back to normal in a few days. An earthquake could be an example.

When Shit hits the fan that's when having a plan becomes crucial. If you live in a major metropolitan area staying put could be a death sentence. If the supply chain were to break our supermarkets would be emptied in days if not hours. Looting rioting killings would quickly become common in the weeks afterward. At about the same time the food supplies would be completely gone and the mass exodus would occur as people leave cities in search of safety, food, hunting, fishing. Farms would be pillaged, anything alive would be hunted and fished out. It is recommended that if you do but out to an area to live off the land that you get at least two full gas tanks away. Further the better. Gas will be hard to get also so stock up now.

I would highly recommend reading "the end of the world as we know it" by James wesley. It has a little bit of everything from what to stock, where to go and what to do.

Prepping gets a bad rap. If nothing happens in my lifetime great. I feel better knowing that I will be ready If it does.

titorite

Where's your bottled water? That'll probably be the number one most valuable item.

Knowledge beats bottled water. I can distil. In a variety of ways even makeshift ways. I know the pros and cons too.
Saying all that, my wife never leaves the house without taking water. Never. It is a hang up of hers. A beautiful perfect hang up. One I encourage. Never leave home with out one bottle of water even if you don't need it.

But just incase and even more important, know how to get water....that bottle doesn't last forever. In fact it is very finite.