Are you a Prepper?

ALOG

I'm definitely a prepper, kind of a subtle one too. I have a family of seven including myself. I collect different parts to do different things along the way. Some years back we got hit with a big snowstorm which took out power in Columbia, SC. My family was surprised to find we did great, I drug out all the things I had collected for just this kind of scenario, we ate fine and stayed warm for four days and had to be told the power was back on by a neighbor. I've since moved to the country, and began again. My family calls what I collect now, "shapes". I go through thrift stores not looking for items, but particular shapes which will combine for larger functions. I rarely know what the shape is for when I buy it, just that it is particularly attractive to certain projects I have laid by.

But, as I teach my children, this is prepping in luxury, the real task of any human, is to be able to adapt wherever they find themselves, and this takes a retraining of our habit of labeling things by their known functions. We too often think of things as only what they were commercially intended to be. I retrained myself by only noting the shape of items, thereby opening up a more abstract thought process. Necessity need not be the mother of invention - unless entrainment is present.

ALOG

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Octavusprime
please forgive me for my tunnel vision you are corect there are many possibilities that could transpire. I tend to forget that and consentrate on the BIBLE prophcey's alone. sorry

Octavusprime

Octavusprime
please forgive me for my tunnel vision you are corect there are many possibilities that could transpire. I tend to forget that and consentrate on the BIBLE prophcey's alone. sorry
No problem my friend. I am interested in all possible scenarios. Old text of all kinds (bible, Vedas, Puranas, etc.) speak of such things. I find it significant that these writing not only talk about past disasters but often also speak about the final disaster yet to come. I don't think these warnings should be taken lightly.

countrcultur

i think if at all possible, get some land out in the middle of nowhere and build a sustainable shelter, solar power, hydro indoor garden, etc.

countrcultur

I'm definitely a prepper, kind of a subtle one too. I have a family of seven including myself. I collect different parts to do different things along the way. Some years back we got hit with a big snowstorm which took out power in Columbia, SC. My family was surprised to find we did great, I drug out all the things I had collected for just this kind of scenario, we ate fine and stayed warm for four days and had to be told the power was back on by a neighbor. I've since moved to the country, and began again. My family calls what I collect now, "shapes". I go through thrift stores not looking for items, but particular shapes which will combine for larger functions. I rarely know what the shape is for when I buy it, just that it is particularly attractive to certain projects I have laid by.

But, as I teach my children, this is prepping in luxury, the real task of any human, is to be able to adapt wherever they find themselves, and this takes a retraining of our habit of labeling things by their known functions. We too often think of things as only what they were commercially intended to be. I retrained myself by only noting the shape of items, thereby opening up a more abstract thought process. Necessity need not be the mother of invention - unless entrainment is present.

ALOG

thats a good way to look at things.

Qqs23

Doomsday isn't real. Mayans just had as the end of their clock. Just rumors. If not I guess I'll die. :LOL:

TnWatchdog

Evey time you go to the store...buy an extra case of water...even the smart squirrel gathers nuts for the long winter. Be ready not sorry!

TnWatchdog

"Yes" and "no" regarding the posted question. The no is due to being in the construction industry and funds are limited. With that in mind I am sick of paying out money when I don't really have it, I am making changes due to the economy and the end times senerio. I will post my ideas here from time to time. I am going to copy/paste what I wrote on anther site...We will all be off the grid before you know it...so I am preparing now. If you need to make something or drill a hole, doing it now with electricity will be easier then without electricity. No electricity, no water. I am on a septic system and have the rain water run into a water storage tank. I have a hose coming off the bottom and running into the house. On the end of the hose is a faucet. You can flush and fill the tank with water. I have a overflow on the elevated tank to drain into the sump pump pit. When the grid goes out I will transfer the overflow outside to prevent flooding inside. I plan to plan on what would happen if the house stays and everything else falls apart. Do what you can as long as you are on the grid. It has been 1o9 in Nashville and I haven't put the air on...make adjustments NOW to see how it could be without technology.

BlastTyrant

It's not so much as the world ending in 2012 but it's easy to tell there is something looming on the horizon, were on a unstable chair at the moment and at any moment can tip, so extra supplys for you and your family is a good thing to have, i have recently invested in a small Solar panel with a battery specific for it that can hold a charge for 24 hours with a light, radio, and other small electronics hooked up.

Bottled water is very very cheap wal-mart here has a 35 pack for 3 dollars., other rations can be spendy if you wanted decent quality.