Ask away

XDrFirefly

Ask away

I just want to know why u know ASL? Is it important to you in the future or something?

Also, since a lot of modern research states that children raised equally by both parents is better, why in the future would we have women do most of the child raising? I think we have learned from "Nuclear Families" and Single Mother children. Just wondering what your current view is on Family Studies? Finally, tell me what it was like to be a teenager in your time.

thanks

Dr FF

yeyeman9

Ask away

Also, when is this earthquake suppose to happen? If you cant give an exact date atleast state the year please, thanks :).

Snakey

Ask away

Would you please be kind Time Traveler from the future and answer the question I Private Messaged you and answer these few questions it would further improve my research into time travellers and hoaxers... Not saying you are a hoax but for me to believe this I would need a higher amount of proof. Maybe you could post a picture of your time travel machine.. Maybe some new pictures from the future or maybe just provide some information about upcoming events within the next month that will happen . Also answer these questions please. What is the weather like in 2026?Is it hotter or colder is global warming coming into effect? are seasons longer?.

Thanks,
Mike

DWOMT

Ask away

Hi Trinux, Welcome to 2005.

I have a few questions for you as well. Please take your time and answer them when you can.

1. What is Texas like in 2026? Especially South Texas?

2. Does Texas make it through the war in one piece?

3. What year is the draft reinstated?

4. Why is the Draft reinstated? Is it for the War on Terror or the World War you mentioned in 2016?

5. Does anything happen in 2012?

6. Are Native Americans still on reservations in 2026? (I ask this because I am Native American and the Reservations depress me).

7. A silly question, do you still have Dragonball Z in 2026? LOL!

scififan28

Ask away

Hello Trinux,

I am from the east coast. I never really had a place to call home, but during the conflict, I spent most of my time in Pennsylvania.

I am in Philadelphia, and I was just wondering if you could elaborate a little on the towns/areas you were during most of this time? Were you in eastern or southern Pennsylvania?

Thanks, scifi

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Ask away

At the request of one of our members, the unrelated "static" posts that were diverting this thread from it's true purpose have been moved to the trash can. Now, on with the show.

Surrealist

Ask away

Originally posted by Trinux@Jan 9 2005, 02:02 PM
Why do you use the names, Minux and Trinux?

The war affected computers a good deal, and small, but flexible operating systems became extremely important. Both Minux and Trinux play a great deal in the future, as does another operating system. I will not disclose which ramdisk distribution becomes the ?standard?, but one of them does and it used in a tremendous amount of embedded devices and servers--both private industry and government.

Both Minux and Trinux are of course very small distributions of the linux operating system, using kernels designed for the x86 processor series. I find it strange that these in particular would be important in the future. I've used trinux quite a bit, and while its a great toy for causing network havoc, it seems less than ideal for embedded devices since most embedded devices dont use x86 procs.

With minux, it seems to be unmaintained, since the last development work on it took place in 2000. Perhaps you were referring to minix, the inspiration for the linux kernel? While minix itself is long dead, its impact in terms of inspiring linux makes it an important footnote in computer history.
Linus Torvald's annoucement of the creation of linux on Usenet

When considering embedded devices, what about the future role a projects like uClinux, an alternative linux kernel which is designed for embedded processors, or perhaps the work that the Metrowerks company has been doing, since both projects have very active participation, and are both currently involved in several upcoming embedded devices, most notably work involving a spinoff from Motorola, Freescale. I think their Coldfire series has huge potential for the embedded industry.

But, thats just some background info for other board members who are less into this subject. My question for you involves the future of computers: You referred to 'linux and unix' as being future paradigms? First of all, what about Microsoft. I hate them, but I don't expect them to just disapear. What about Apple? I believe Apple to be in perhaps their strongest position in company history. They have dominated the amazingly fast growing music device industry with the iPod. They are sitting on a mountain of cold hard cash, $6 billion. And will soon unviel their cheapest computer ever, a sub $500 machine. I believe this will give them tremendous market advantage, and would personally predict for Macs to finally gain significant desktop share.

And finally, what do you refer to with the term 'unix' that makes it seperate from linux ? HP-UX, Irix, Solaris, SCO (god forbid), the BSD family ?

What about the future of Open Source Software vs Patent law?

Any further insights in the future of computing?

Personally I find future wars and disasters less interesting than future computers. Doom and gloom have always been around in human history, theres no reason to expect the future to be any different except in terms of who precisely the wars and disasters affect. But computers have a lot of potential to truly change the way the entire world operates and communicates. Any stories on what becomes big and why would be very interesting to me.

OllyB

Ask away

SETI has not found validated proof.

Thats because "SETI" Is not looking for validated proof.

(A man drops a ?20 note on the floor. The second man helps him look for it. Finds it and puts it in his own pocket.

The first man says, "any luck?", To which the second man replies, "No not yet, i'm still looking").

Kind regards,
Olly