Bon Appétit

Yeats

A lullaby about cannibalism...

Fortunately, it is about cannibalism avoided rather than acted upon. I do like this part though:

Il fait au ciel une prière
Interrogeant-geant-geant l’immensité,
Ohé ! Ohé !

Mais regardant la mer entière,
Il vit des flots-flots-flots de tous côtés,
Ohé ! Ohé !

Wind7

Staff

From your link:

Banana Cicada Bread Ingredients: 1/2 cup shortening 3/4 cup sugar 2 bananas, mashed 2 cups flour 1 teaspoon soda 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup chopped nuts 2 eggs 1/4 cup dry-roasted cicadas

Directions: Mix together all ingredients. Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 deg F for about one hour.

Yield: 1 loaf

Never liked the consistency of walnuts baked into bread(s)
however, after seeing this.......

Walnuts are just fine.

Harte

From your link:

Banana Cicada Bread Ingredients: 1/2 cup shortening 3/4 cup sugar 2 bananas, mashed 2 cups flour 1 teaspoon soda 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup chopped nuts 2 eggs 1/4 cup dry-roasted cicadas

Directions: Mix together all ingredients. Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 deg F for about one hour.

Yield: 1 loaf

Never liked the consistency of walnuts baked into bread(s)
however, after seeing this.......

Walnuts are just fine.
I don't care what anyone says. Anything's better than raisins.

Harte

Wind7

Staff
I don't care what anyone says. Anything's better than raisins.

Harte
QTN8bZg.gif

Bones McCoy

Every so often (about every seventeen years, more or less) reporters are ordered by their editors to write up “the cicada story”. If there’s nothing else going on at the time – like a war, or a political scandal, or some other big news – then we see story after story about the humble cicada and their “summer of love”. This isn’t a new thing.

Until this year.

This year, we are still getting “the cicada story”, but the focus is a bit different this time.

Can you eat cicadas? Yes, and here’s how to catch, cook and snack on them. - The Washington Post

Bug appétit: Why eating cicadas is good for the environment | Hub (jhu.edu)

Eating Cicadas Is Actually Good For The Environment And Apparently They Taste Like Shrimp – CBS Baltimore (cbslocal.com)

Brood X cicadas are edible. Up for pizza topped with blanched bugs? (msn.com)

The Cicadas Are Coming. Let’s Eat Them! | WIRED

The above is not, by any means, the extent of this coverage. Over the past few days, I’ve seen dozens of stories concerning our lowly friends, the cicadas, and how yummy they are.

No, thank you. I’ll pass.

I know why the press ran the old cicada stories. It was filler. Just something to fill up the space in a newspaper or to consume time in a TV news show. What I don’t know is why, this time around, the press seems to be trying to persuade us to eat bugs.

Is it because we’ll need the protein? After all, there have been recent shortages of meat products in several areas of the country lately, and food prices are rising.

I can understand “Let them eat cake”… but BUGS?