How to Build the Hyper Dimensional Resonator? (With photos and schematics/plans)

Phong Do

Einstein, you mentioned before that you were using rolled steel and that because it has carbon, it will heat up. Do you think a different material for the core of the electromagnet would help with the heating? I was thinking of making a core out of iron oxide and epoxy as a binder.

I think the ideal core material would be ferrite rod. But I've never seen it in 1 inch diameter. But if you can find real soft iron, it supposedly will not get hot. But that is pure iron. It's no longer made in the USA, and is not available here. I think soft iron is still available in the UK.

The other alternative that I had in mind was to put an additional power resistor in the circuit. 21awg wire is only rated to carry 1.2amps of current, so with a voltage of 120v (84.853V rms) the electromagnet needs to have a total resistance of 70.71ohms. 1000 ft of 21awg wire has 12.8ohms of resistance, so if I use 1000 ft of wire, I would need a 50 ohms power resister to bring the current down to 1.2amps. I think that would help with the heat problem. I just don't know if the resistor would impact the operation of the device.

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I measured the current draw. It is only 0.68 amps. It's not excessive for 21AWG wire. Ohms law doesn't work for AC current. The info I found on it says that eddy currents develop in the steel core. It's these currents that are creating the heat. Most transformers that use soft iron, also use a laminated core. The laminations cut down on the eddy currents. I think even soft iron will permit eddy currents. The only advantage to soft iron is it has the least resistance to the AC field. So less heat is supposed to be the result.

Phong Do

I measured the current draw. It is only 0.68 amps. It's not excessive for 21AWG wire. Ohms law doesn't work for AC current. The info I found on it says that eddy currents develop in the steel core. It's these currents that are creating the heat. Most transformers that use soft iron, also use a laminated core. The laminations cut down on the eddy currents. I think even soft iron will permit eddy currents. The only advantage to soft iron is it has the least resistance to the AC field. So less heat is supposed to be the result.

It sounds like the heat generate is from eddy currents then; 21 awg should be able to handle 0.68 amps just fine. Agreed, ohm's law doesn't work directly with AC current so the calculations have do be done using rms values which is the DC equivalent for AC. As for soft iron, I think I'm going to have a very hard time finding some. I did see someone use strips of welding rods packed together into a core for an electromagnet. It's not quite as nicely packed as laminated sheets but it should help with the eddy currents. What do you think?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Powdered iron might be an option. They use silicon steel now to cut back the eddy current problem. I personally like the appearance of using a solid core myself.

Phong Do

Powdered iron might be an option. They use silicon steel now to cut back the eddy current problem. I personally like the appearance of using a solid core myself.

I have 5 lb of iron oxide powder for another project. I might try using it for the core of the electromagnet and see if it helps with the heat. I'll have to find some thermal resistant epoxy as the binder.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I used 21 AWG wire. I don't remember how much wire. But I suppose you might try 20 feet and see if that works. Just fold it in half and then twist it into a nice twist. Then just start to make the coil, and wind it out to 7.8 cm. I used a special jig I made to make pancake coils. And used epoxy to glue the coil windings while in the jig. Then I dropped the whole coil into a mold and encased the whole coil in resin. This took me a day to complete. Here is the pancake jig I used.

100_0242.jpg

Phong Do

I used 21 AWG wire. I don't remember how much wire. But I suppose you might try 20 feet and see if that works. Just fold it in half and then twist it into a nice twist. Then just start to make the coil, and wind it out to 7.8 cm. I used a special jig I made to make pancake coils. And used epoxy to glue the coil windings while in the jig. Then I dropped the whole coil into a mold and encased the whole coil in resin. This took me a day to complete. Here is the pancake jig I used.

Do you tighten the center of your coil after you're done winding it on the jig? The center on the finished coil looks smaller than the center on the jig.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
The center of the jig was just the 1/4 inch shaft. I just used the wing nut on top to adjust the space between the two plate halves of the jig. The jig wasn't that hard to make. But it makes it much easier to make a pancake coil.

Phong Do

The center of the jig was just the 1/4 inch shaft. I just used the wing nut on top to adjust the space between the two plate halves of the jig. The jig wasn't that hard to make. But it makes it much easier to make a pancake coil.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I had thought the wood part was the center. Thanks for the clarification.