People talking of splitting USA (red-blue map)

Cornelia

An EU member is useless, but for what it worth, you're my farmer general! ;)

dissdnt

Read this on boingboing.com, maybe it will ease some people. Oh and read the bottom link from the aclu, especially the fellow citizen page in the beginging. It's pretty weird how similar this admin is to Nixons in there idiology.

Kerry concedes.
Four more years of a nation led by criminals. I was making coffee with one eye on CNN when the news broke, and I called my dad, a man who's spent many years fighting for good things, sometimes at great personal cost.
"Get over it," he said, "The way you feel now is exactly how I felt when Nixon won a second term -- crushed. I just couldn't believe America was that stupid. "But remember what happened to Nixon that term."

"Change comes from discontent," he said. "And right now, there's a lot of discontent."

http://www.boingboing.net/
http://www.aclu.org/library/1stpamphlet.html

Judge Bean

I suggest a website dedicated to the Constitutional Amendment. Its exact text can be composed as a group effort rather easily, and voted on on the site without the need for convention or meeting.

Once the text of the Amendment is drafted (which calls for a national referendum of general impeachment, or "total recall," thanks to the inspiration of Arnie's election here) it can be walked around by volunteers in the various States.

That is one part of the effort required, and is meant to build a consensus. The other part will be the attempt to convince both the Congress and the legislatures of two-thirds of the States to adopt the Amendment. Either two-thirds of both houses of the Congress or two-thirds of the States must accept the new law (which must then be ratified by three quarters of the States), but the idea would be to demonstrate the public will by trying both.

Despite the monumental character of the undertaking, it has the virtue of simplicity. I think you can see that the U.S. Congress will not by any stretch approve of its own dismissal and replacement. However, if there is sufficient popular support, they would not dare oppose it, and would try to impose term limits or some such hogwash to avoid their fate.

Finally, if the Amendment is ratified, the actual recall election would take place, in which candidates for Congress and the presidency and vice-presidency would be elected to replace the evicted ones. The new elected officials would then appoint a new Supreme Court. None of the new leaders are permitted to have previously held positions at the same top level of the three branches, and spending caps would be put on their campaign efforts. The campaigns wouldn't have much time to amount to much anyway.

It's Us vs. Them, and the new Them would be under our Thumbs.

QuixoticKitten

Originally posted by Cornelia@Nov 3 2004, 01:25 AM
I make a thread because this really amazed me: just hours after the end of polls, people on a forum are talking of civil war and seceding blue states from USA.
The talks are taking place on the peakoil forum, with smart and educate members of both sides. They know NOTHING about John Titor, they're mostly interested in economics and oil.
These are some of the posts, I'll add more while they write:

\"Face it: we are a country divided.
We should have both the NE and the West Coast secede from the union. Very different people with very different values than the South and parts of the midwest. Regardless who wins, why should a group of states have to be enslaved and commandeered by those who have values completely different than their own?
Why not allow a government that represents the will of the people in their particular states? If it can't do that, then those states should secede.\"

\"We are divided. I feel the USA (as we know it) won't be around much longer. I don't think Bush or Kerry matters much. It is the other \"perfect storm\" problems that will be the cause.\"

\"America is fucked. Flee America while you still can. Now is the time to get rid of your dollars if you havn't already. The Repubs control every branch of the government. Soon they will appoint Fascist judges. Our civil liberties will be taken away. I have posted here too much. I am not sure if it was a good idea.\"

\"Are you guys going to do the civil war thing again??\" (EU member)

\"This time we'd form an alliance with our fellow blue states on the Eastern seaboard.\" (Cali member)

That's interesting because I've been reading similar sentiments from various forums and blogs from people who have never heard of John Titor. It's rather scary!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I can provide webspace and a forum if needed. The website would be a subdomain of hoytroid.com, and the address would look something like fixamerica.hoytroid.com.

I cannot use vbulletin for the forum, but rather IPB (the one we use now). If this is acceptable let me know.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

In the words of John Edwards: "You can be disappointed, but you cannot walk away. The fight has just begun."

CaryP

Brilliant idea Paul. Anybody know how to start a web site?

Cary

BrandonwasWrong

If Heggy is willing to let a website piggy back on webspace already owned, we could do that. If we wanted to we could purchase for $15 a year a domain name. So if you typed www.whateverwasdecidedupon.whatever into your browser it would go to whatever.hoytroid.com. The alternative is to purchase web space and along with that comes the domain name. I get mine for about 50$ a year. It is a pretty good package with 300 mb of space and fairly good bandwidth limit.

I'd say great if Heggy's space could handle a website that would potentialy be getting a large number of hits, and if Heggy is willing to host the page in the first place.

BrandonwasWrong

oh, and I know some about running a web site, and a little about designing. http://urs.vagrantsavior.net is about the limit of my design skills. I do, however, know how to install programs like greymatter into a website. This allows members to simply log in and write updates. All point and click, no html required. (At least on their end.) It makes things much simpler.

:EDIT:

And judging by hoytroid.com, I'd say heggy has a good deal of skill in the way of websites! Looks very nice!