People talking of splitting USA (red-blue map)

JediStryker

\"Face it: we are a country divided.
We should have both the NE and the West Coast secede from the union. Very different people with very different values than the South and parts of the midwest. Regardless who wins, why should a group of states have to be enslaved and commandeered by those who have values completely different than their own?
Why not allow a government that represents the will of the people in their particular states? If it can't do that, then those states should secede.\"

These were almost to the letter the sentiments of the South before seceding from the Union.

Unintentional

Originally posted by Timmy G@Nov 4 2004, 01:28 AM
Regarding Web Site stuff: First and foremost, I am a graphic artist. Also, I have designed and maintained a site that gets 10,000 hits a day (in my previous IT job).

How about putting it on your profile or shamelessly plug it here, so we can see it? :D

pauli

i'll say first that i seriously hope that there will not be any need for a civil war. that being said, secession and revolution is in American blood, and it is in fact in the Constitution. This country was built on revolution, and although the idea seems impossible nowadays, secession is a totally plausible thing for a state to do in this situation, where the population of that state feels underrepresented by the national gov't.

Yes sinister, We do have the "right" - if you want to put it that way - to revolt; however, consider the following: you have a one in three chance of getting it right. Either you will replace the old system with something better, something just as flawed, or something much worse. One in three odds, to me, doesn't inspire much confidence. I just don't know if it is worth it in the end. All of the death, hatred and horror isn't worth it to my mind. :(

And, putting that all aside, are you willing to wager the future on the words of someone we can't even say is a Time Traveler? Just because Titor said it turns out well in the end, doesn't mean that such a thing will turn out in the end. If he is a hoax, then I think we're in deep Bandini.

JediStryker

secession is a totally plausible thing for a state to do in this situation, where the population of that state feels underrepresented by the national gov't.

Again, this already happened, and the attempt to secede failed miserably thanks to the efforts of Lincoln.

Alyxavior

Results and solutions are the things that must be focused on.

There are many roads to a destination.

Choose wisely.

Timmy G

How about putting it on your profile or shamelessly plug it here, so we can see it?

Archway Merchandising is the company I worked for, and you can see the 'public' section of the site here. There are lots more pages 'after login', but aren't available to the general public. *Also, it appears that since my departure, the links to the "Marketing Services section of the site are now broken :lol: dorks lol...

Also, in my spare time - I have been undertaking a web site devoted to the 15th Ohio Volunteer Infantry from the Civil War. My Great Great Great Grandfather fought with them, and I am using the site as a way to gather all the information I can about his unit and division. The site name is 15thOVI.com and can be found here. This one is no where near done , and I actually anticipate it to be several years in the making. Now that I am unemployed, I have found myself actually working on this one less than before. :huh:

Comments, questions are welcome.

Does the Time Travel Forum (<-- another shameless google bomb) have some form of programmable address book, so everyone who wants to be involved in a web site can contact each other easily? If not, maybe a general free email from Yahoo would work? ...just a thought :D

sinister

Originally posted by pauli@Nov 4 2004, 01:13 PM
Yes sinister, We do have the \"right\" - if you want to put it that way - to revolt; however, consider the following: you have a one in three chance of getting it right. Either you will replace the old system with something better, something just as flawed, or something much worse. One in three odds, to me, doesn't inspire much confidence. I just don't know if it is worth it in the end. All of the death, hatred and horror isn't worth it to my mind. :(

And, putting that all aside, are you willing to wager the future on the words of someone we can't even say is a Time Traveler? Just because Titor said it turns out well in the end, doesn't mean that such a thing will turn out in the end. If he is a hoax, then I think we're in deep Bandini.

I didn't actually mean that people should consider revolt because of the John Titor things, that doesn't really make sense to me either. For me, I can't say I will truly believe all the John Titor predictions until the civil war he predicted happens. For me, that will be the point at which I say this guy probably was dead on. So at this time right now, I just think that things are SET UP for his predictions to come to fruition. And when enough people truly feel underrepresented in the gov't, I think there is the option to secede. It doesn't really matter whether that system would be better or worse than the old one, the point is that if it becomes necessary, states do have the right to secede. In the true Civil War, I don't think the South were thinking of whether their new society would be better or worse (and maybe they should have), but that anything would be better than having no representation in the gov't, which I can't help but agree with.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by pauli@Nov 4 2004, 07:13 PM
i'll say first that i seriously hope that there will not be any need for a civil war. that being said, secession and revolution is in American blood, and it is in fact in the Constitution. This country was built on revolution, and although the idea seems impossible nowadays, secession is a totally plausible thing for a state to do in this situation, where the population of that state feels underrepresented by the national gov't.

Yes sinister, We do have the "right" - if you want to put it that way - to revolt; however, consider the following: you have a one in three chance of getting it right. Either you will replace the old system with something better, something just as flawed, or something much worse. One in three odds, to me, doesn't inspire much confidence. I just don't know if it is worth it in the end. All of the death, hatred and horror isn't worth it to my mind. :(

The depth of the Bandini is much greater right now than it feels.

Whether or not Titor is "real" or a hoax has no bearing on whether the Bandini is as deep as it is. The Constitution is being shredded-- hold still for a minute and cock an ear toward the Potomac, and you'll be able to hear it.

We don't want to replace the old system; we want to replace the old pirates in charge of it.

Darkwolf

(and I think Titor was a Rep, not a Dem);

Titor sounded more like a constitutionalist libertarian.

Its not an issue of democrat vs. republican really. It is statist vs. individualist. The democrats have so far tended to be more statist, but the republicans are pretty bad too. I think the danger of a shooting war in the next four years comes if the rural conservatives feel betrayed by the administration. The democrats have too much of a dependant attitude, are against guns, and are crippled by a philosophy of pacifism.

Alyxavior

Maybe we need atlanticism.

Then again....let the Pacific overrun the land and salt the land...we'll start over no matter what happens, I'm sure.

Now.