People talking of splitting USA (red-blue map)

Timescholar

Originally posted by CaryP@Nov 3 2004, 03:23 PM
Brilliant idea Paul.? Anybody know how to start a web site?

Cary

Depends on what you want with it, and what you're going to use to develop it. (php, ASP, CGI, Java, DHTML, just regular plain old HTML, etc.). If you're gonna post a lot of graphics and expect a lot of people to come (around 1000 views a day), you'll need a good 2-3 gig per month transfer bandwidth.

*gives a little bit of software development advice*

Before jumping into a project, figure out what you'll need first. Analyze and design the site before picking a webserver.

Personally, I'm familar with php, and I know ASP.NET (that's what I do at work), and SQL Server 2003. A simple forum shouldn't be too hard to make actually.

Unintentional

I am sure the only people talking of splitting the red and blue states into two countries are those in the blue (Gore/Kerry) states. It would be to their advantage to get people to STOP leaving the blue states. The blue states have a majority of democrats and they have run their states into the ground and people are leaving in droves. The democrat heavy blue states have failing economies due to democratic policies and people voting for these policies. The red states are growing in population and have much better economies. The red states are filled with conservative type people and policies and the people who vote for them.

Bush, so far, has only won the same states he won in 2000 and has already gotten more than half of the needed electoral votes to win. Why? Electoral votes are based in part on population. Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, and North Carolina are all red states and all increase in electoral votes. Wisconsin, Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, New York, and Pennsyvania are all blue states and all decreased in electoral votes. These blue states are also reknown for their high taxes and generous welfare systems. No wonder businesses are leaving the blue states and taking the jobs and productive people with them.

The founding fathers knew that you could not legislate morality, but also said that the US constituion was entirely inadequate for an immoral people. Which party is constantly critized of being overly religious (and moral) and which party is constantly being critized of being immoral and tearing at the fabric of America? It seems to me that America is working fine for the blue states. I also think I know why. For answer re-read this paragraph.

I live in Virginia and it was in the news today that Virginia has the 2nd lowest cost of insurance in America. They attribute this to that Virginians are less likely to sue other drivers. (There goes that overly religious and morality getting in the way of not screwing up the economy.)

I am not saying the answer to America's problems lie in everyone becoming overly religious and moral, but a lot of the problems would be solved if everyone at least acted like they were overly religious and moral. Hey, lets not sue each other at the drop of the hat. Let's stop taking money from producers and giving it to non produces just to get the non-producers vote. If were not working at a job, how about instead depending on others to fill the need, we go get a job (if we are able). How about we stop having kids unless we are in an economically stable situation? (Number ONE reason for U.S. poverty is having kids without being able to support them, USUALLY DUE TO NOT BEING MARRIED.) Now if we at least pretended we were moral, we could cross our legs until married are at least capable of being responsible for our actions. HOw about if a factory is making money employing Amercians, we don't close it down and move it somewhere else to make even more money somewhere else? How about if the government collects too much money and it is given back in the exact same propotions it was collected (or even weighted to the less unforunate), we don't scream "tax cuts for the rich!" How about pretending we would rather bite our own tounge off that tell a lie?

I could go on and on and everyone reading this KNOWS I could go on and on, but I doubt if I would change anyones mind.

If you do write a new constitution, don't make the same mistake our founding fathers. Assume that Americans will be lazy, immoral, irresponsible, and criminal unless specifically disallowed those actions. Don't assume that if actions wonder into a grey area that the person will do the right thing.

You can either behave as our founding fathers knew we were capable of behaving or write a whole new constitution for a people that our founders fathers would be disappointed in.

@);-

Timmy G

censored-SEAS :angry:

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver to design, create and manage web pages & web sites. I use Corel Draw and Corel PhotoPaint as my standard graphics programs... also I have experience with about a dozen other mainstream HTML and GRAPHIC progs.

The next four years... what a long strange trips its gonna be.

pauli

Smuda, my man, >:D< I take my hat off to you. This is EXACTLY how I feel.

Thanks for expressing those thoughts.

For everyone else:

For the past 5 years, I have heard that we might head toward a Civil War due to the differences between how Liberals and Conservatives view the world. This does not make me happy and I clearly hope we DON'T go down that road. It is a horrible, horrible one to go down, or even to contemplate. Now, I am not saying anyone in this thread is moving that direction. I don't believe that. Should we choose such a road, it will be like Titor said: "fighting a war which gained us nothing." Just take care in how you approach things, that is all I ask. Don't let your passions overrun your common sense.

DWOMT

Speaking of common sense. I use to support this guy and read all of his articles, now I think of him as a gullible sheep. If and when you guys can, you should read what this guy has to say about anyone who doesn't support what we're doing overseas or as a country right now.

http://www.hernco.com/dannavy/1864.mht

sinister

i'll say first that i seriously hope that there will not be any need for a civil war. that being said, secession and revolution is in American blood, and it is in fact in the Constitution. This country was built on revolution, and although the idea seems impossible nowadays, secession is a totally plausible thing for a state to do in this situation, where the population of that state feels underrepresented by the national gov't. I will also say that if Bush has the gall to go thru with his draft (which is already happening and is very possible now that he's won the election), I would much rather pick up a weapon in a civil war than pick up a weapon in Iraq. Wars are one of the worst things our species has seen over the years, but there is a reason for them. Revolution is in our blood, and when the ###### really hits the fan, I don't expect there to be any other outcome. I think if push really comes to shove, nobody should rule out the possibility of secession. I understand what John Titor said about the war being pointless in the end, but there's always a beginning. Who's to say that Titor's proposed, post-nuclear society wouldn't be better than just more of the same. When there's more of the same, trends tend to continue, which means this country either must burst to refresh itself or subject us all to what I consider to be something worse.

Cornelia

On the occasion of election, I reread what Titor said. He said something like "2004 President will desperately try to be the next Lincoln, trying to hold the country together."
This statement is very enlightening: 1st, it's in accord with a Rep president (and I think Titor was a Rep, not a Dem); and 2nd, he didn't blame the president for the splitting of the country.

Thoughts?