Series of Ruby RIdge, Waco, type events

Darkwolf

So you're denying the fact american laws are based around christian morality?

They sort of are, so what? You have to base them around something don't you? The basic set of laws is pretty universas through religions and sociotys. IE don't kill people who aren't trying to harm you, don't steal other's property. Thats not just a christian thing ice, and if it is, what would you suggest basing laws around?

CaryP

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Nov 21 2004, 01:36 AM

They sort of are, so what? You have to base them around something don't you? The basic set of laws is pretty universas through religions and sociotys. IE don't kill people who aren't trying to harm you, don't steal other's property. Thats not just a christian thing ice, and if it is, what would you suggest basing laws around?

Darkwolf,

This "ice, ice baby" is quickly turning himself into our newest resident troll, running at the mouth and looking to pick fights. I wouldn't give his crap all that much weight, if any.

And you're right, most of the industrialized West has a Judeo/Christian foundation/base for laws, social constructs and traditions, and so what. Maybe "ice picked his nose" would prefer that it be based on what? Satanism, anarchy, Goth, South Park, Bugs Bunny, Star Trek, Trollism, or some fantasy in his own little mind.

It's mind over matter. I don't mind 'cause "lil lobotomy" don't matter.

Cary

P.S. Yes, "bag-o-ice from the convenience store" has pissed in my flakes. Can you tell?

pauli

Again I'm not here to cast a moral judgment on someone in a hypothetical situation. Calling yourself morally superior to someone for doing something you don't understand is basically a reflection on your own insecurities and pretty much the whole reason I don't like this country or people for that matter.

I agree, judging these people isn't what the topic is about and I surely wasn't posting that article to help someone feel morally elite. Also I'm not sure I'd call judging someone based around what christian society deems \"good\" or \"bad\" , criminal to christian values is an \"emotional\" response. I'm not attacking anyone or yelling at anyone but when I'm questioned I will reply..

Sorry Icepick, but who is the one feeling morally superior here?? It seems to me that the one who talks about being non-judgemental, as if that were some sort of higher moral position has a bit of a condescending attitude themselves. Perhaps it might do you a little bit of good to look in the mirror a bit and not project your superiority complex on others.

and btw, where do you think the concept of non-judgementalism came from in the Western World, that value to which you ascribe?? The New Testament, ala Christian morality, as is summed up in the following statement from Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount: "Judge not, that you be not judged." (Matthew 7:1)

You have to be careful to distinguish these stories with what happened at Waco. No one was attacking the government or corporations at Waco. The group at Waco was not a racist or hate group.

The article conflates violent fringe groups with what happened at Waco and Ruby Ridge. What happened at Waco was an attack on citizens by the government. What happened at Ruby Ridge was the murder of citizens by government snipers.

Don't play into the hands of propagandists who want you to believe that every neonazi in a quonset hut is the same type of person as anyone who asserts his rights against armed federal agents. Some who oppose the government may be \"terrorists,\" but those at Waco and Ruby Ridge were not.

Paul, I couldn't agree with you more. I think we need to distinguish between those people who are trying to cause death and mayhem out of some twisted ideas they have of how they want things to run and those who are not doing anything wrong yet have the gov't breathing down their back for no apparently good reason.

icepick_lobotomy

Originally posted by Darkwolf+Nov 21 2004, 12:36 AM--><div class='quotemain'>So you're denying the fact american laws are based around christian morality?
[/b]

They sort of are, so what? You have to base them around something don't you? The basic set of laws is pretty universas through religions and sociotys.
IE don't kill people who aren't trying to harm you, don't steal other's property.

Have you tried running that golden rule by arabic cultures that reward murder i.e. suicide bombings with a ticket to heaven?
<!--QuoteBegin-Darkwolf
@Nov 21 2004, 12:36 AM
Thats not just a christian thing ice, and if it is, what would you suggest basing laws around?
[snapback]15764[/snapback]​
[/quote]
So if morality is universal why (throughout history and now) have sacrifices, burning people , suicide bombings, homosexuality, incest, polygamy, torture all been considered acceptable? ( in non- american christian cultures mind you)

**Fixed quote tags**

icepick_lobotomy

Originally posted by pauli@Nov 21 2004, 06:10 AM
and btw, where do you think the concept of non-judgementalism came from in the Western World, that value to which you ascribe?? The New Testament, ala Christian morality, as is summed up in the following statement from Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount: \"Judge not, that you be not judged.\" (Matthew 7:1)

I think you might be right here but i think the ten commandments ( which i think has more moral weight with sheepish christians) undermines that by casting judgement on rule breakers and let's those jesus lovers off the hook when making fun of homos... phew thank jesus.

**Fixed quote tags. Icepick, you're adding an extra
tag after the initial

icepick_lobotomy

Originally posted by CaryP+Nov 21 2004, 04:55 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Darkwolf@Nov 21 2004, 01:36 AM

Darkwolf,

This "ice, ice baby" is quickly turning himself into our newest resident troll, running at the mouth and looking to pick fights. I wouldn't give his crap all that much weight, if any.

And you're right, most of the industrialized West has a Judeo/Christian foundation/base for laws, social constructs and traditions, and so what. Maybe "ice picked his nose" would prefer that it be based on what? Satanism, anarchy, Goth, South Park, Bugs Bunny, Star Trek, Trollism, or some fantasy in his own little mind.

It's mind over matter. I don't mind 'cause "lil lobotomy" don't matter.

Cary

P.S. Yes, "bag-o-ice from the convenience store" has pissed in my flakes. Can you tell?
[snapback]15774[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I don't want any trouble kind sir, I have nothing to prove.

PyRo99

Buckshot, shut the hell up.

The constitution directly says "seperation of church and state". HRrrmm, if you have Christian based laws then innately you are not seperating the church and state, you are drawing it directly in.

If you base laws around one religion you are discriminating against other religions, this country was founded on freedom of religion, and by inforcing laws that are made for the necons, that are christian based, they are inflicting harm upon my beliefs.

You think its okay to make fun of gay people? Bucko, I'm betting you're 10 years old. You wanna add more hell to the mix? Go to someplace else, go find some anti-semitism place, because I can't stand racism.

You think Jesus was made only for the Christians? Buckshot, you've got a lot to learn, you're narrowminded ways won't be tolerated.

Which brings me to my next point, the hell are you against homosexuals for? What did they do to you? Their choice of life, IS their choice, you should not have the right to chose how they should marry, or what not.

For someone with nothing to prove, you sure as hell love to run you're mouth.

icepick_lobotomy

Originally posted by PyRo99@Nov 21 2004, 12:23 PM
Buckshot, shut the hell up.

The constitution directly says \"seperation of church and state\".? HRrrmm, if you have Christian based laws then innately you are not seperating the church and state, you are drawing it directly in.

If you base laws around one religion you are discriminating against other religions, this country was founded on freedom of religion, and by inforcing laws that are made for the necons, that are christian based, they are inflicting harm upon my beliefs.

You think its okay to make fun of gay people?? Bucko, I'm betting you're 10 years old.? You wanna add more hell to the mix?? Go to someplace else, go find some anti-semitism place, because I can't stand racism.

You think Jesus was made only for the Christians?? Buckshot, you've got a lot to learn, you're narrowminded ways won't be tolerated.

Which brings me to my next point, the hell are you against homosexuals for?? What did they do to you?? Their choice of life, IS their choice, you should not have the right to chose how they should marry, or what not.

For someone with nothing to prove, you sure as hell love to run you're mouth.

I'll have two of whatever this guys havin'

**Icepick: Please do not start a fight here. Comments like this are what start flame wars. please let it go.**

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Icepick,

You're headed down a dark path here with your anti-homosexual remarks. I would suggest thinking twice next time you're about to post something in which you portray homosexuality as something that is immoral or bad.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you are NOT entitled to make those kind of remarks on this forum. Straighten up please.

Darkwolf

So if morality is universal why (throughout history and now) have sacrifices, burning people , suicide bombings, homosexuality, incest, polygamy, torture all been considered acceptable? ( in non- american christian cultures mind you)

I never said morality was universal. I said that there were certian parts of it that were. Harming others who harm you is wrong pretty much no matter where you go. There is only one major religion where thats even debatable. Now what it is ok to do to people you do see as a threat, that has varied over time and by culture. As well as sexual morals, and who exactly constitutes a threat. So what, we do have to have laws, and untill I see a good alternative basis from you, I think basing them on what they are based on is fine.

Now for the record I think we've got some stupid laws, but all and all, the basic legal structure is pretty good.