What Evidence Would You Need for a Time Travel Claim?

Rosco..Jones

Case closed? I do not see either video as anything other than some people trying to raise awareness of possible futures. I do not believe that John Titor had anything to do with video #1. The 2nd just appears to be a collection of protest videos. Personally, I did not take away anything of value from these.

I posted this link on the Conviction of a Time Traveler Facebook page yesterday.
WATCH: Israeli short film depicts Iran nuclear attack scenario

The video was uploaded by an Israeli film maker. I wouldn't be so harsh as to characterize it as a hoax because it's purpose was not to deceive. People surmised it to be either true or a hoax. (Those darn assumptions again, eh Peregrini?)
In this case, neither of those options were true.
It is not a true depiction nor from another world line.

Leslie, the people are speaking Hebrew. Fire your language expert. ;)

Justinian

I agree that it's too hard to show proof. Almost impossible. So what if you show up to my door with a ray gun straight out of flash gordon... You could just be some super genius. I mean that boyscout made a nuclear reactor in his back yard. And depending on which theory you go by for time travel.. you can't just go and change the past, because I'd never know the difference. I think the only truly plausible proof that a time traveler can have is to physically take you with them. IMHO.

I agree that it's too hard to show proof. Almost impossible. So what if you show up to my door with a ray gun straight out of flash gordon... You could just be some super genius. I mean that boyscout made a nuclear reactor in his back yard. And depending on which theory you go by for time travel.. you can't just go and change the past, because I'd never know the difference. I think the only truly plausible proof that a time traveler can have is to physically take you with them. IMHO.
I like your asnswer Mr JDeterline. But remember, there is no such thing as definitive proof to a third party; there is only evidence. One must draw their conclusions from the preponderance of the evidence.
This is why I named the thread as I did as well as how and why I chose the title for Conviction of a Time Traveler. I provide the evidence that has gone overlooked for 10 years or simply didn't exist in the early 2000's.
One must make his own decisions based on the evidence available.

Are you saying in your response that the only evidence you will accept is personal experience? You're standards of evidence are much higher than that of a capital murder trial. I sure hope I get you on MY jury

Justinian

HA.. thanks. But, I just look at it like this.. If you show me evidence, it might convince me. But to another it might just seem a gimmick. So what I guess I'm saying is that any evidence you have will always be circumstancial and personal to whomever you are providing the evidence. Look how many people are ripped off every year from art forgeries and museum fakes. To the ordinary eye, it looks genuine, but to a trained eye it's fake. And who knows how many of these reported "trained eyes" are reporting fakes that may be genuine. Kind of like you are saying that you need to make your own decisions. Do I believe it's possible to time travel? Hell yes. But, my puny mind just can't fathom what you could show me as evidence without actually taking me there. And yes, I would make a horrible juror, because in the modern era we live.. I wanna see video proof. That and I don't really want to put any more people in the already over crowded prisons. Maybe after time travel is proven possible and made available to everyone to go screwing with time.. we can come up with inter-dimensional travel and make a prison dimension like in Superman.

Justinian

I got off topic there for a second. But let me get back to the point of different theories of time travel. I'm not claiming to be all that knowledgable on these theories, so don't go chewing my head off.. but IF I'm not mistaken.. the one says that just by going to the past you automatically alter it. So by bringing me Benjamin Franklin's kite that he "invented" electricity with.. you've altered the past just by going there so when you come back to me, I might not even know who Ben Franklin is. The other says .. and I think I got this right... that you can't go back in our own timeline. Like on Terra Nova, going to the past can't be done in our timeline, you can only go back to another timeline. So therefore nothing you find there will be good enough evidence. NOW.. if we're talking future.. this could get tricky. Because if you go to the future based on this first theory and you bring me back some exotic thing.. like say bringing a laptop and solar powered charger to the early 12th century.. then we'd be good. But based on this second theory, you'd leave me, go get this evidence, and then come back to me and I'd have no clue why you brought me this gizmo and have to reintroduce yourself.

According to my understandings this is how things work. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. So this is why I'm saying take me along with you.

titorite

Why does it matter?

Why should a time traveler expose themselves... why should we come to a concesus as to what we would accept as time traveler proof... no this seems to be .. to me.. one big troll run to gather information about us to help further trolling.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Why does it matter?

Why should a time traveler expose themselves... why should we come to a concesus as to what we would accept as time traveler proof... no this seems to be .. to me.. one big troll run to gather information about us to help further trolling.

agreed no time traveler would expose thereself,, nor would they attempt to change the past..
as my hero Tarzan would say... no!!!!no do it's bad juju

Justinian

Well, I agree with you titorite in that, if I were a time traveler, I wouldn't say shit to nobody. I'd keep all the winning lotto tickets and betting to myself. Secretly stash up hoards of cash in different time periods too. But the point of the thread is to be.. IF someone were to let you in on their secret, what would it take for you to believe them?

Sliders

I would say that if a time traveler showed some one their time machine, it is tangible evidence. Further more if that time traveler posted pictures and schematics of the time machine online, that can also be used as evidence, unless the pictures can be exactly reproduced (100% as the original) by some other independent person that is not the time traveler....