Are you a Prepper?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
in the weekly chat event Sam ask me to post some water filter stuff so thats what I am doing here are a couple of the better ones you can purchess off the web the first is called (THE BIG BERKEY)
Big Berkey Water Filters, For The Love of Clean Water!

this one is called (Aquarain)
AquaRain Natural Ceramic Carbon Gravity Water Filter System

however if you don't want to buy one or don't have the spare cash to you can make a filter for your self from clay the complete instructions are here
How to Filter Water With Clay Pots | eHow.com

this system is used by missionaries in third world countrys all over the worl to provide clean water for the locals when other options are just not possable and it works very well its good stuff to know when you are in a tight spot..

P.S.
the corn husks, tea leaves, and coffie grounds can be subbed for any type of common tree leaves and sand you just want something to make the clay porus enough for the water to flow threw it

TnWatchdog

in the weekly chat event Sam ask me to post some water filter stuff so thats what I am doing here are a couple of the better ones you can purchess off the web/quote]

Thanks for the info! If the grid goes there will be nothing coming out of the faucet. I think we all need to do something to clean our water. I have some water in storage but I am sure it will be bad when I need to use it.

Samstwitch

in the weekly chat event Sam ask me to post some water filter stuff so thats what I am doing here are a couple of the better ones you can purchess off the web the first is called (THE BIG BERKEY)
Big Berkey Water Filters, For The Love of Clean Water!

this one is called (Aquarain)
AquaRain Natural Ceramic Carbon Gravity Water Filter System

however if you don't want to buy one or don't have the spare cash to you can make a filter for your self from clay the complete instructions are here
How to Filter Water With Clay Pots | eHow.com

this system is used by missionaries in third world countrys all over the worl to provide clean water for the locals when other options are just not possable and it works very well its good stuff to know when you are in a tight spot..

P.S.
the corn husks, tea leaves, and coffie grounds can be subbed for any type of common tree leaves and sand you just want something to make the clay porus enough for the water to flow threw it

Hi KC, thanks for that information! I looked up the water filters last night. Berkey also makes a portable water filter for $150. AquaRain seems only to have the big one. Both are very good. We had seen the larger version of the Berkey, but didn't know about the portable one until you told me.

Also thanks for the water filtering info using clay. I'll be reading that right away.

~Sam~ :)

kcwildman

Beastmaster
ok folks school is almost out,, you have a water source, creek,lake,river so now you are going to need some meat every american indian boy was taught to make a simple fish trapp by his dad , while this is an korean version its basicaly the same one grandpa taught me to make as a kid.. where this one is made from ratan I was taught to use willow tree branches and to stripp the bark off the branches and tie the trap together with it
Bubu, a traditional fish trap | ASEAN-Korea Centre

the last lesson is how to make small game traps here are some of the basic snares grandpa taught me to make useing whatever wire I could find fence,eletrical cords, whatever you can find you are going to check them every morning anyway so be sure to take along a sturdy club or spear to kill any game still alive......they will be scared and very dangerious be careful most all small game have big teeth and it hurts like you can't beleave to get bit
Wilderness Survival: Food Procurement - Traps and Snares

kcwildman

Beastmaster
ok this is the graduation speach folks you have been given a basic level of servival skills always keep in mind that the most effective weapon and best tool you will ever have is your mind and the knowalge you have aquired.. all the fancy gear in the world will be of no use back at the barn. so when its time to move and move fast be sure you have a sharp knife and some good boots. those two, along with these basic skills will keep you alive to fight another day.. good luck

P.S.
it is a good idea to practice makeing these traps and now just for funn so when the time comes your ready.. oh yeh always fallow the kiss princepal
K=keep
I=it
S=simple
S=stupid

kcwildman

Beastmaster
heres a little tidbit of info to keep in mind the feral hog/wild boar population of north America
nfpp_map09.jpg

as of 2008 so the heard has grown some since thats a good thing to know when the stores shut down

Octavusprime

A good medium for do it yourself filtration can be found at your local fish supply store or cheaper yet, home depot.

Activated carbon is extremely cheap and can be used with sand, a 5 gallon bucket and a cloth filter to filter water.

Drill holes in a 5 gallon bucket, place your cloth filter or stuffing from a cushion or teddy bear on the bottom. Put a few inches of activated carbon inside. Fill remaining bucket with sand or course dirt. Put another piece of cloth or gravel on top.

Basically you are pulling large particles out with the sand and the carbon sucks up organic solids through chemical absorption. This won't turn sludge into water but will make most water sources considerably cleaner.

Justinian

This is very comforting to see so many people talking about prepping without guns being the number one item discussed. I've been to a few prepper websites and all they talk about is how many guns they own. Well kind of along the lines like was said before.. You can only carry so much when u need to move out. I just worry that too many people stocking up on guns is where the problem in the SHTF scenario would come from. Now don't get me wrong. I think owning guns is great. BUt what I'm saying is that I do agree that neighbors will be selling each other out. So if you're going to be collecting and stockpiling weapons and ammo, do it in secret. And especially don't post about it on the internet unless you're sitting behind so many proxies and firewalls that would make the most talented Russian hacker spin on his head. Which most people aren't. The internet is just as easy to tap into and trace as the old analog phones were. Back when all you needed was some copper wire, alligator clips and an old phone.

There was a neat tv show called, "The Colony". It was supposed to be some kind of reality tv show based on a SHTF scenario, but you could tell it was rigged. BUT, they did show quite a few neat tricks, like how to create a frequency variable receiver(AKA Radio), Water filter, wind turbine.. some neat things like that.

I do like KCWildman's thinking.. Travel light, and keep as much info in your head now so that you don't need to buy things now you'll be able to do for yourself afterwards, and practice, practice, practice. I just got my hands on the SAS Survival book and that book, along with almost every other survival book I have, all preach; Practice, practice, practice.

And I'm not sure the actual plant name, but in PA we call them Catynine tails.. They are reed like plants that grow next to water. You pull these bad boys out and their roots look like spaghetti. You pull off these roots and boil them. Easy eats, and quick too. Got that off that man vs wild show and tried it at home. The actual stem of the plant can then be used for other things like making baskets and stuff.. but the roots are just really bland. No flavor whatsoever. At least from what I remember. (We were drunk swimming one night and I saw them so i ripped a few out and started munching on the roots.)

Now keep in mind, the sites I mention above.. these are all people living almost entirely off-grid. I'm talking solar panel electricity, growing vegetables and fruits to sell for money, and can/stock for SHTF events, not normal people living normal lives. These people are doing nothing 24/7 but prepping.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
one example of a good all around knife heavey enough to do most any task and still light enough to be carried
images

one example of a good boot tall enough to give good ankle support and lite enough to not be clumsey in
boots.jpg

both of these can be purchesed at most any sporting goods store for 50 bucks or less