Are you a Prepper?

Octavusprime

Here are a few cool links that I found interesting. I think knowledge is power but as stated above practice is crucial. Somethings like the faraday cage require setting up before it all goes down.

For those who want to have an emergency radio, walkie talkies, inverter (solar/wind power) or any electronic device available when SHTF. The faraday cage will save your electronics should an EMP or solar flare hit the earth.

Refrigerator anyone?

wind power

ASolar power. $199 is cheap for 45 watts imo. Remember the farady cage for the electronics!

Samstwitch

This is very comforting to see so many people talking about prepping without guns being the number one item discussed. I've been to a few prepper websites and all they talk about is how many guns they own. Well kind of along the lines like was said before.. You can only carry so much when u need to move out. I just worry that too many people stocking up on guns is where the problem in the SHTF scenario would come from. Now don't get me wrong. I think owning guns is great. BUt what I'm saying is that I do agree that neighbors will be selling each other out...

I'm glad you brought this up. On the Doomsday Prepper reality show, many people are obsessed with guns. They're even training their kids to KILL people. This is just plain crazy! One father accidentally shot his thumb off while practicing shooting with his kids. Here he is teaching his kids how to kill people and he doesn't even know how to handle a gun himself. Hard lesson learned.

My father raised 5 kids in a house full of guns. Back in the days when he was alive and I was growing up, he was a somewhat famous collector of military war relics. We had every weapon in our house, including machine guns, mortars, and even cannons on our front lawn.

But my father taught us well...Never point a gun at anyone, whether you think it's loaded or not, whether it's a real gun or play gun, NEVER point a gun at anyone, and we never did. When I was about 4 yrs old, he took me out to the forest and held a gun in my hand and fired it to show me what damage a gun could do. That's how he taught us kids, and there were never any gun accidents in our house.

These parents teaching their kids how to kill people are just plain stupid. When the SHTF happens, there's gonna be a lot of gun crazy people and kids shooting other people.

Personally, I'm a peacemaker. I have a rifle for hunting, but I believe in sharing and feeding the hungry, just like Jesus did. I also believe God can multiply food...and I've seen it happen when I was growing up. My adopted mom was very poor and she shared her food with the many people who were visiting at her house. We marveled at how a small pan of food fed a whole room full of people and there were left overs. That's the power of God that Jesus taught us. :)

Justinian

Yes, it's sad. I mean I understand that people are afraid of the other people coming and shooting them.. But you can only shoot one gun at a time. these people that scare me are the ones that it's maybe a household of 1 or 2 people and they have 50+ guns. This isn't prepping, this is the startup of a militia. These are the people that I think will be the war mongers. The ones that will give guns out to people in exchange for their service and loyalty.

And grains are a big thing that people should be stocking up on. When I was in the military, we had a family of four and we could not afford food. I didn't want to beg anyone for money because I was too proud. So we ate nothing but homemade noodles in the broth they boiled in. The only thing we bought was flour, sugar, and kool-aid. On the rare occasion we could afford it, I'd buy some ham to throw in with the noodles. Sometimes we'd run out of flour and there'd only be a small amount and my wife and I would have to choose which one of us ate that meal so that we'd have plenty for the children. I'd use the flour with water to make noodles. The flour with sugar and water to make cookies for the kids. And the kool-aid and sugar for the kids to drink. And if you really want to get crazy you can mix all three together to make fruity cookies. But if you buy just the grain... you can cook the grains or grind them down into flour. Just put the sacks of them up or store them in some place that has a low rat chance..

Personally.. I'm looking into shipping containers. You can buy a shipping container for as little as 1200 dollars. They come from 10ft to 40ft long and you can bury them, or park them whereever. I personally suggest burying them. Although if you go that route, you need to reinforce the structure with steel beams on the top or my personal favorite is to lambaste it with a fiberglass/cement mixture spray. Then you can secure the access to this and have a lot of storage space. There isn't a lot of info out there on burying these bc many ordinances won't allow for it. I've found one video on youtube of a guy burying one. Other than that it is all speculation. But, I've been living in these things for years.. and it's not bad. You might also want to consider it as a cheap getaway living container for some remote property you want to purchase.

I can also point people in the right direction to purchase remote properties for as little as 200dollar/acre. or you can do your own google search and find the hundreds of websites out there that offer them. To go off grid fully is a goal of mine one day. Unfortunately for me.. 11 more years of child support takes precedence.

TnWatchdog

This is very comforting to see so many people talking about prepping without guns being the number one item discussed. I've been to a few prepper websites and all they talk about is how many guns they own. Well kind of along the lines like was said before.. You can only carry so much when u need to move out. I just worry that too many people stocking up on guns is where the problem in the SHTF scenario would come from. Now don't get me wrong. I think owning guns is great. BUt what I'm saying is that I do agree that neighbors will be selling each other out...

I'm glad you brought this up. On the Doomsday Prepper reality show, many people are obsessed with guns. They're even training their kids to KILL people. This is just plain crazy! One father accidentally shot his thumb off while practicing shooting with his kids. Here he is teaching his kids how to kill people and he doesn't even know how to handle a gun himself. Hard lesson learned.

My father raised 5 kids in a house full of guns. Back in the days when he was alive and I was growing up, he was a somewhat famous collector of military war relics. We had every weapon in our house, including machine guns, mortars, and even cannons on our front lawn.

But my father taught us well...Never point a gun at anyone, whether you think it's loaded or not, whether it's a real gun or play gun, NEVER point a gun at anyone, and we never did. When I was about 4 yrs old, he took me out to the forest and held a gun in my hand and fired it to show me what damage a gun could do. That's how he taught us kids, and there were never any gun accidents in our house.

These parents teaching their kids how to kill people are just plain stupid. When the SHTF happens, there's gonna be a lot of gun crazy people and kids shooting other people.

Personally, I'm a peacemaker. I have a rifle for hunting, but I believe in sharing and feeding the hungry, just like Jesus did. I also believe God can multiply food...and I've seen it happen when I was growing up. My adopted mom was very poor and she shared her food with the many people who were visiting at her house. We marveled at how a small pan of food fed a whole room full of people and there were left overs. That's the power of God that Jesus taught us. :)
I have decided that God will provide for those who believe. Your small pan will feed a whole room full of people....I plan to have three months of water, rice, and dog food on hand. I've had this feeling inside me to get three months of dog food and put it in air tight containers. If you can't go to the store, what will happen to your pets? Since I live outside a large metro area I expect everyone will be raiding homes for food. Just like a pack of hungry wolves, they will team up in neighborhood gangs to take, using their guns. I have guns too but one person against a hungry gang...not very good odds. These will be the days when you will be throwing your gold and silver in the streets, as a loaf of bread will have more value. If someone comes to my door for food, I will share and show them that I don't have much more then they do. Maybe the next day they will return and give me a bag of noodles to go with my rice. Bottom line, the basics...water, rice, propane for your cookstove, matches, and first aid...Other than that I am going to go on faith... as we won't be able to have everything we have now, put away for future uncertain times.

Samstwitch

I have decided that God will provide for those who believe. Your small pan will feed a whole room full of people....I plan to have three months of water, rice, and dog food on hand. I've had this feeling inside me to get three months of dog food and put it in air tight containers. If you can't go to the store, what will happen to your pets? Since I live outside a large metro area I expect everyone will be raiding homes for food. Just like a pack of hungry wolves, they will team up in neighborhood gangs to take, using their guns. I have guns too but one person against a hungry gang...not very good odds. These will be the days when you will be throwing your gold and silver in the streets, as a loaf of bread will have more value. If someone comes to my door for food, I will share and show them that I don't have much more then they do. Maybe the next day they will return and give me a bag of noodles to go with my rice. Bottom line, the basics...water, rice, propane for your cookstove, matches, and first aid...Other than that I am going to go on faith... as we won't be able to have everything we have now, put away for future uncertain times.

Well said, I agree 100%. If everyone does the same and behaves this way, it would be very helpful and life-saving.

Octavusprime

Jetterline, I'm with you. I would rather over prepare than not. I'm thinking of years to come. I don't wish to revert to cave man status. We have knowledge and technologies that could be utilized. I feel an obligation to mans intellect to pass these on to future generations.

Grains are a good idea. Hard winter wheat stores the best but any uncrushed grain will be fine. You can buy small hand grinders online, I have one for my beer making. For storage 5 gallon containers with liners. Activate a hand warmer and throw it in the bag before you close it up. This will displace oxygen and keep your grains dry and away from vermin. Rats may chew through them though so take caution.

I also have a large mixed pack of open pollinated seeds. Easy to grow veggies and grains. Farming might be necessary in a post apocalyptic time. Just make sure you buy enough to plant a good acre or two. Mostly starches (potatoes, corn, wheat, barley, etc) with a good mix of healthy easy to grow fruits and veggies (berries, carrots, tomatoes, melon, bean etc). There are sites that sell crappy seeds that barely germinate and may not work in your environment. So look for a reputable provider if buying online. Favorite site for seeds :Safety Seed Packages Much cheaper if you get locally and you ensure they are acclimated to your area.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
the first few weeks of no services will be the worst but after say 45-60 days most all the roving thugs will be dead... from either gunshot wounds or bad water,spoiled food ect.. during this time of crazyness your best bet will be to stay hidden as much as you can..the closer to a big city you are the worse this time will be. 20 miles will be about one days walk and should be a fair buffer zone..the thugs aren't going want to lug all there guns that far.. the farm towns will be far less likely to go nuts, as a rule they are use to doing with out the gov.services and more indepentant..if you are forced to flee the city and find yourself in a vacant small town rest assured you are being observed by the locals and will be approached as soon as you are deemed not to be a threat to there familys..always keep in mind that as it is now and always has been guns are the last resort...like grandpa use to say ....boy when you pull a gun play time is over!!!!

however this very scenario has been planned for by TPTB and after just a short time the troops will be sent out to restore order and disarm the public. the people will be rounded up and taken to stageing areas for assessmant and tagging. any resistance to the goon squads durring this time of restoration and you will be shot.. it will be the darkest hour for mankind as a whole.. all of the folks who now call you a nutjob will then turn you in as a domestic terrorist just to get an extra ration of water..

this time of woe is spoken of in the books of the prophets in the BIBLE weather you choose to read them or not is up to you. I feel they are the best form of prepping you can do.. as the days go by and I see the direction of events it becomes more and more clear to me that the prophets are indeed right and things will get much worse.. the near future holds more hardship and pain than you can begin to comprehend...

I only hope you have a strong will and a firm belief in GOD you will need them both more than you know !!!!!

Justinian

Ok question.. Cause I've lived in some cities, and I've been in and out of lots of homes in cities.. And you just never really see that many people with guns. At least not the cities I've worked in. So.. How many of you actually know anyone in cities with lots of guns? Because from my experience, it's the people 20 miles + outside the city that have the guns. I'm not saying I disagree with you here wildman, because all SHTF scenario's say the same as you. I'm just wondering where all these city folk are going to get their weapons to make these mass hoards of gun thugs that everyone is predicting.. Maybe they'll rove out like drones into the countryside and beat the crap out of the locals with all the guns then take them back into the city? I mean.. with the exception of ONE movie that I know of.. they always go to the cities for their supplies. I mean, WTF? Everyone knows that the best preppers and gun hoarders are country folk. And the ONE movie that I'm talking about is Red Dawn.

Octavusprime

I live in a 600,000 person city. I know a hand full of people with small arsenals. In California buying a gun is easy. 10 day cool down period on hand guns and you can walk out with a rifle same day. But you're right most people who stockpile guns would move to a secure location outside the city. The reality is you can only use one gun at a time, so having 1 or 20 means little the amount of bullets available is more important.

Justinian

hmm.. So I guess what I'm wondering is if there are big gun stores inside these large cities? I never really looked so I can't say that I've tried.