Cobra CB radio for contact

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Last night was my fifth night using my CB radio, so that means I transmitted on five channels that night. While I was doing that, I heard voices on other lines on quite a few channels, one of which I attempted to transmit on. On that channel, I asked if that person on the other line could hear me. It didn't seem to me like I got a response on the other line; in fact, I couldn't make out a word any of them were saying. It could be one of two problems or both:
  1. Perhaps I didn't phrase my request the proper way.
  2. They couldn't hear me well on the other line because my antenna might need to be set up at a higher elevation. We do live in an area with a lot of mountains.
Then again, I'm not so sure about the second possible issue, because I've regularly checked for SWR calibration, and I consistently get results within the range of 1 and 2.

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be? @TimeFlipper & @Einstein - Should I send either of you guys photos of something related to my CB setup?

TimeFlipper

I dont understand what you mean by, "Other Lines".....Lets say you are on Channel 5 for an example...Do you hear other CB users on Channel 5 that seems as if they are not "fully tuned" into Channel 5?....If that is the case, take a listen to other Channels higher and lower than Channel 5...For example, listen to Channels 6 7 and 8, and then listen to Channels 4 3 and 2, to see if those CB users are "fully tuned" into any of those other Channels above and below Channel 5.....

If you DONT hear them on those other Channels, and ONLY hear them on Channel 5, then that is usually called a "spurious emission", direct from other CB users, or possibly even Radio Amateurs that have problems with harmonics coming from their transmitter sections ....I dont think you have anything on your CB set, such as a variable selectivity option, that might help to cut out those type of occurrences, however they are extremely rare!....Do i think those spurious emissions are derived from UFO inhabitants?, no i dont my friend..

Sometimes you will get interference from another CB user that lives close by to you, and if you DO get that type of interference, its generally called a "splash over" or a "breakthrough" coming from the CB guys set living close to you....The only choices that YOU have, is to respectfully ask him to use another Channel, or YOU go onto another Channel, away from him, the latter usually being the best choice ;):D..

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@TimeFlipper - By "other lines", I mean other CB users.

And I think you missed some of the main points I was trying to tell you. I think I'll go ahead and highlight in boldface and italics some of the main points in the following paragraph.

I heard voices from other CB users on quite a few channels last night, channels 6, 11, 15, and 17 to be exact. And I never said I wanted to ask other CB users to go to another channel. I was just trying to ask them if they could hear me on the channel I transmitted. I don't send my main message, which is meant for ETs, on a channel currently in use by other CB users.

I do apologize for my frustration in the last paragraph. It's just that I do get frustrated when other Paranormalis members neglect to carefully read my posts. Perhaps you need a bit more rest? Not to offend you or anything like that.

TimeFlipper

Last night was my fifth night using my CB radio, so that means I transmitted on five channels that night. While I was doing that, I heard voices on other lines on quite a few channels, one of which I attempted to transmit on. On that channel, I asked if that person on the other line could hear me. It didn't seem to me like I got a response on the other line; in fact, I couldn't make out a word any of them were saying. It could be one of two problems or both:
  1. Perhaps I didn't phrase my request the proper way.
  2. They couldn't hear me well on the other line because my antenna might need to be set up at a higher elevation. We do live in an area with a lot of mountains.
Then again, I'm not so sure about the second possible issue, because I've regularly checked for SWR calibration, and I consistently get results within the range of 1 and 2.

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be? @TimeFlipper & @Einstein - Should I send either of you guys photos of something related to my CB setup?

Ok my friend, lets look at your request for assistance from Einstein and myself....Your first paragraph..

"Last Night was my fifth night using my CB radio, so that means I transmitted on five channels last night. While i was doing that, i heard voices on "other lines" on quite a few channels, one of which i attempted to transmit on. On that channel, i asked if that person on the "other side" could hear me. It didnt seem to me like i got response on "the other line"; in fact, "I couldnt make out a word any of them were saying. It could be one of two problems or both:

1. Perhaps I didnt phrase my request the proper way.
  2. They couldnt hear me well on the "other line" because my antenna might need to be set up at a higher elevation. We do live in an area with a lot of mountains.....I was going to come back again and go over the 2 problems that you pointed out...I didnt want to confuse matters, as i felt that what i already told you was sufficient enough for the time-being..

Ok, lets now go back at what you told me...You said you heard voices on certain Channels, but you didnt understand what they were saying, but it appeared as if they hadnt heard you, because you didnt get a reply from them...Those two are your key issues with me my friend...

Ok, maybe those other CB guys DID hear you, but didnt understand the English language..Perhaps there was a "skip condition" going on, which means you could only hear "distant foreign CB guys", and NOT hear the "local" English speaking CB guys....I will fully explain in (Part Two lol) how "skip conditions" actually work, especially at night time, but not now :)..

What i told you was how you can "check out" unintelligible messages which are what i described as "spurious emissions", by checking other channels that are close to your operating channel...You COULD encounter those problems at a later date, then know what to do..

Also i told you about the problem you could get when a CB guy is living close by, and operating on the next channel to you...You could also get that problem in the future, and again, know what you can do about it....I believe you took offence, when i mentioned those stations that you couldnt understand, were not UFO occupants....That was meant as a joke, and thats why i put these two emotes at the side of that message>>>;):D....

Lets finally look at your second problem, regarding your antenna being too low down...I was hoping that you were going to have that antenna placed at the very top of the block where you live in...I wasnt aware that you lived in a area with Mountains around you...
Anyways, i have a few ideas that could solve the Mountainous area problems....But if you are disinterested in my knowledge, say so, and i will quit this thread permanently, without taking offence :)..

Last edited:

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Lets finally look at your second problem, regarding your antenna being too low down...I was hoping that you were going to have that antenna placed at the very top of the block where you live in...I wasnt aware that you lived in a area with Mountains around you...
Anyways, i have a few ideas that could solve the Mountainous area problems....But if you are disinterested in my knowledge, say so, and i will quit this thread permanently, without taking offence :)..
Thanks for your reply, TF! :)

The part of your last post that I didn't quote I understand completely, so that part isn't worth quoting. And no, I didn't understand that in part of the post before your last that you were joking. Because of your explanation, I do now. :)

Now let's get to the part I quoted here. I am very interested in your knowledge, always have been and always will be, so you don't have to quit this thread at all, and you may inform me of your knowledge and experience with the workings of CB radios. When I have your response(s), I will show my dad if necessary and see what he thinks. We'll be all ears! :)

Just to let you know, I will be out of town from Friday morning into Sunday afternoon or night, so in between that period, I may or may not get a chance to read and/or reply to your posts. That's because I won't have access to a PC; I will just have access to the web and this site in particular on my cell phone. That said, I can't wait to see what you have to post here! :)