Cobra CB radio for contact

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Einstein - Update: we've made an attempt to at least place the antenna somewhere other than on top of the air conditioner. We currently have the antenna pinned to the side of the window in which the air conditioner sits. It's no longer sitting on the AC, it's currently parallel to it.

I didn't have a good gut feeling about doing it this way, but my dad seems too stubborn to go ahead with getting a professional.

Another problem is that we live in a very mountainous area.

We tested out my CB radio with the modification we made, but we didn't hear voices on the other line. Are we doing something wrong?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If you mount the antenna close to the AC unit you will still pickup interference from the AC unit when you run it. The other thing is an antenna close to a house can't effectively transmit though the house if there is any wire mesh in the walls. Common with stucco and plaster. Move the antenna up to roof level or away from the house.

Erebus

The higher you can place it the better. And keep it away from as much metal and electrical anything as you can. Metal absorbs signal and anything that uses electricity creates a magnetic field that will interfere with transmission and reception.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what others have suggested so I will just put down a few suggestions.

Citizen's Band(CB) radios are intentionally limited to transmit ranges intended to be local. In the United States they are legally limited to 4 watts for AM and 12 watts for SSB(single-side-band). I don't know how much range into the atmosphere that will get you but I do know that with most antennas you are getting less than 10 miles laterally. However, with a good base station antenna and favorable geographic conditions, you can get up to 50 miles.

Here is a good site with some really good info on antennas and how your surroundings can affect range. You might want to consult an antenna expert if you are trying to transmit more vertically(outside the atmosphere) as I believe that CB antennas are designed to transmit laterally. Are you trying to contact aliens that are within the atmosphere, outside the atmosphere, or both? Probably should have asked that first.

If you really want to get into long-range transmission and reception you should look into short wave radio. It's more expensive and you need permits but you are talking thousands of miles being within its range rather than under 100.

Hope this helps.

SergiusPaulus

If you are using CB, would a HAM radio be more effective? We pick all kinds of signals and can transmit different types of comms including music which may be more receptive by the beings you wish to contact. Didn't you ever see Close Encounters with the Third Kind? Music...