Ren's Predictions for the US: Beyond Time-Travel Now

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Once we reach TeraBytes, the measurement of data will be catagorized in terms of years.

Uh, no... There's no reason to switch from a standard unit of measurement to a nebulous, subjective one. Nobody is going to walk around saying "my SD card is 7 seasons of Doctor Who".

Ha, although I'd like that. :)

Next time I'm at Best Buy I need to pick up 3 1080p Star Trek TNG season 6 hard drives and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seasons 1 through 4 USB drive.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Uh, no... There's no reason to switch from a standard unit of measurement to a nebulous, subjective one. Nobody is going to walk around saying "my SD card is 7 seasons of Doctor Who".

Ha, although I'd like that. :)

Next time I'm at Best Buy I need to pick up 3 1080p Star Trek TNG season 6 hard drives and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seasons 1 through 4 USB drive.

They do make Doctor Who/Tardis USB hubs. :)

Ren

Once we reach TeraBytes, the measurement of data will be catagorized in terms of years.

Absolutely. For example. All the Star Trek television shows and movies ever produced complete with interviews and web archived pages and forums about the show and cast. Even commercials for Star Trek Mego toys, and the animatronic versions of the same figures complete with replicator(3d) blueprints for reproducing the toys. What is really cool Cosmo is that every show has a script. You type an actor's line and it will take you to that part of the show and the commentary if it exists.

Last edited:

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Absolutely. For example. All the Star Trek television shows and movies ever produced complete with interviews and web archived pages and forums about the show and cast. Even commercials for Star Trek Mego toys, and the animatronic versions of the same figures complete with replicator(3d) blueprints for reproducing the toys. What is really cool Cosmo is that every show has a script. You type an actor's line and it will take you to that part of the show and the commentary if it exists.

I'm not sure I follow... You were saying that instead of referring to storage capacity in terabytes and higher, people will start referring to capacity in terms of how many years of something it could contain.

If you said "I have 10 years of The Simpsons" instead of "I have 30 gigabytes of The Simpsons", would you be referring to 1080p video? 480p? 720p? 4K? Stereo? Dolby surround? Mono? With commentary tracks? MP4 format? MKV? MOV? FLV? What bitrate is the video? Is that bitrate constant or variable? With interviews? With shorts? With promo commercials? I could go on forever...

Ren

All clips are old MP4 x264 HD format, 1 hour is about 150mb. Yes we still measure data in bytes. But it is common to measure data by what you're keeping. This also becomes irrelevant once you can store everything ever published on just 1 disc. That would be 1080. I am currently watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager. Ah, living the dream.

HDRKID

Katniss Everdeen looks like a prepper. She would probably be considered a terrorist by the police state.

Question, will a similar person soon arise?